Friday, October 20, 2017

"I'm Ready for a Change"

A couple years ago I was invited to acompnay the sister missionaries as they went to teach a cute little family about the gospel of Jesus Christ. As I nervously accepted to tag along, I wondered what on earth I could possibly contribute to that particular lesson. I learned quickly that my "happen chance" invite was not for me to help the sister missionaries teach  Erin and Devin but for Erin and Devin to teach me. I was so lucky to join in on multiple lessons after the first and gained so much insight, felt rooms change through the presence of the spirit, and gained an incredible admiration for missionary work and the miracles that take place in the mission field. Erin and Devin were baptized and I was privileged to speak at their baptism trying so incredibly hard to control my emotions of admiration, love and excitement for this amazing family who was ready and willing.

A few months ago Erin gave a talk in sacrament meeting that moved and inspired everyone who heard... With her humble consent, I felt impressed to share her talk months ago and finally I am just now getting to it! I hope you enjoy her realness, honesty, and willingness to share... I just love her so much!!! Thank you Erin...


July 23rd 2017,

When Brother Plotkin called and asked me to share with everyone today, I had no idea how deeply this topic would resonate with me or how personal it would be. After lots of prayer, studying the scriptures, and reading past teachings I've come away with a deeper understanding of myself and of my relationship with Heavenly Father. 
I tend to have strong opinions, feel I'm always right, and can be quite stubborn. All things I'm sure my husband greatly appreciates. These are not always bad qualities though as it allows me to stand my ground, express myself, and fight for what I believe in.  They also come in handy when I'm barely awake and my children, who I'm positive have already passed the Law exam, are convinced that ice cream is an appropriate breakfast, when we all know ice cream is an after breakfast snack. At least for me. The downside is that it blocks my ability to have Faith in what Heavenly Father wants from me.  How can I build a testimony when I'm already full of ideas, often times wrong ideas? This is a difficult thing for me to admit out loud but I'm sure my husband is enjoying hearing it and will likely use it as fuel during our next debate. A term I use loosely as we are known to spend long and intense conversations arguing about the difference between a ditch and a hole or the proper way to make a reuben sandwich.
President Harold B. Lee said something that really stood out to me, it was "There will be some things that take patience and faith. You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church.  It may contradict your political views.  It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life.  But if you listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good and his names glory".  Reading that couldn't have come at a more important time in my life.  I had been struggling with wondering if I made a rash decision in being baptized.  There are so many wonderful things about the Church, but those tiny little nagging doubts that creep in when you don't keep up with your studies and prayers were starting to get to me.  And that talk, that passage, really made a difference on my outlook.  It's decades old, but is still relevant today.  It reminded me to put my faith back in Heavenly Father, what he wants is what matters.  Even if, at this time and moment it doesn't make sense, He truly knows best.  How could someone who was a Prophet over 40 years ago know my struggles now? It's because he spoke truth then and truth is constant. 

My Husband and I were baptized about 2 years ago.  I was raised in a really awesome religion, one that I hold very dear to my heart as it gave me such a strong basis of belief.  However, as I got older and had kids of my own I started to get dissatisfied and felt the urge to find something more.  I had a lot of LDS friends growing up and was curious about trying a church out.  I played around with the idea for a while and spent time praying for guidance and finally thought to mention it to Devin.  His response was "Erin, we aren't Mormon" in the same tone he uses when I ask if we can train pigs to be truffle hunters, or if I can learn how to be an Alaskan Bush Helicopter Pilot.  I let it drop, sort of, but remember I'm a bit stubborn and continued to pray for guidance.  I also looked into pilot school and places to buy pigs.  Luckily for Devin Heavenly Father was listening and shot down my more insane ideas. Pigs take too much work and get gigantic! Like huge.

President Gordon B. Hinkley said, "It is this element, weak and somewhat feeble at first, which moves every instigator in the direction of conversion. It pushes every convert toward security in the Faith." Heavenly Father told me that I wasn't meant to train pigs or learn to fly a helicopter, but what he did do was send Sister Kilgrow and Sister Malone to our door.  He answered my prayers and allowed us to learn in a setting that was comfortable for both of us. He was building the foundation of my testimony through Faith in Him.

In Alma Chapter 30 verse 41 He says "But, behold, I have all things as a testimony that these things are true; and ye also have all things as a testimony unto you that they are true; and will ye deny them?"  I have spent so much time in the last year denying my testimony, denying my truth because I lacked faith in Heavenly Father. He brought me here, he answered my prayers.  There couldn't have been a more obvious way for him to tell me that this Church was where he wanted me.  Faith builds your testimony.  Faith in what Heavenly Father wants and Faith in what he says. These are things to dwell on and to hold onto everyday.  Even when I'm doubting he still has ways to bring me back.
There came a point in the last 7 months where I was ready to walk away from everything. I was frustrated. I was negative. I was letting what I thought was injustice take me away from everything I had been building upon. I was losing Faith.
1 Corinthians 2:5 says "That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." I was not obeying or listening to His power. I was allowing my mind to be clouded by my worldly views instead of holding onto the scriptures. I had received a testimony and I was ignoring it. All the things I loved and believed in seemed dark and dreary.  I questioned if I was doing right by my children. I questioned if I was doing right by my personal views. I still had a firm grasp of why I started down this path but I wasn't sure if it really mattered. Then something funny happened.  Heavenly Father sent Elder Hintz and Elder Coombs to our door. It was a wake up call really.  He sent the Sisters to bring me to him the first round and now he sent the Elders to round me back up again when I was starting to wander. Their messages were relevant to my issues and divinely inspired. I didn't share with them why I wasn't attending Church, but they somehow knew regardless.  It was a reminder that even when I didn't want to hear Heavenly Father, he was still there. Waiting for me. He brought me back to my original testimony and validated it. 

President Thomas S. Monson said "Unless the roots of your testimony are firmly planted. It will be difficult for you to withstand the ridicule of those who challenge your faith.  When firmly planted your testimony of the gospel, of the savior, and of our Heavenly Father will influence all that you do throughout your life".  Sometimes our greatest challenger is ourselves. Coaxing those roots and nourishing them helps to keep our own negative thoughts at bay.  If we fill our minds with scripture and teachings we don't have room to questions ourselves.  I forgot to study. I figured since I had such a big answer to prayer and such a strong testimony it would be easy to keep going in the right direction. I was wrong. I lost Faith and went backwards instead.
According to "True to the Faith: A gospel reference" A testimony is a spiritual witness given by the Holy Ghost. The foundation of a testimony is the knowledge that Heavenly Father lives and loves us; that Jesus Christ lives, that He is the Son of God, and that he carried out the infinite atonement; that Joseph Smith is the prophet of God who was called to restore the gospel; that we are led by a living prophet today; and that The Church of Latter-Day Saints is the Saviors true Church on the earth. With this foundation, a testimony grows to include all principles of the gospel".
I testify that these things are true. I have faith in Heavenly Father. I have Faith in his living Prophets, both today and yesterday.  Their teachings have relevance, even decades and lifetimes later. Jesus Christ came and died so that we could live and bear his witness. If we hold onto these truths and live our lives by these truths then our testimony will grow strong in Him. We will be the example our Heavenly Father wants us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment